Morris Mistretta starred in amateur football, baseball and bowling for over 50 years in the Jamestown area.
His football feats were for the Liberty AC's beginning in 1927 and he took part in many games against the rival Crescent AC. Mistretta was a fullback, who often threw touchdown passes to teammate Sam Mason, and he also drop kicked extra points.
In baseball, Mistretta played for the Jamestown Spiders, Tigers, Liberty AC and Noah's Ark. He played for over 15 years in the late 1920s and 1930s and batted over.300. He was a fine defensive catcher and among the pitchers he caught were Hugh Bedient and Swat Erickson, both former major leaguers who are Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame inductees.
When Mistretta's baseball and football playing days were over, he remained involved in those sports by officiating.
Mistretta was also known as one of the area's top bowlers in classic leagues. His average was in the 190 to 200 range and he rolled numerous 700 series. At the age of 68, two weeks before his death, Mistretta rolled a 251 game en route to a 667 series at the Satellite Bowl.
Morris Mistretta died in 1978. He was inducted into the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame in 1987.
courtesy The Post-Journal
At its August 25th meeting, the Board of Directors of the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame elected the officers to lead the organization for the next year.
Bob Schmitt replaced Bill Rollinger who stepped down after 15 years as vice-president. Rollinger will remain on the Board of Directors. The other officers were re-elected to their positions.
Thirty-year director Denny Lundberg requested to be named a director emeritus of the CSHOF joining Russ Diethrick in that distinguished capacity. Appointed to replace Lundberg was Keith Martin, the Athletic Director at Jamestown Community College and former head coach of the highly successful JCC Lady Jayhawks basketball program. Martin is the son of 1997 CSHOF inductee, Ken Martin.
Join the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame
- CSHOF window cling
- $5 off the 2015 induction banquet ticket
- Monthly newsletter
- Acknowledgement of membership on the CSHOF website
- Membership card with discounts at selected marketing partners
The Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame is proud to announce that a membership program is now available to persons who are interested in preserving the history of sports in Chautauqua County and honoring the outstanding individuals who have created our cherished sports memories.
The CSHOF maintains a hall located at 15 W. Third Street in Jamestown staffed by volunteers that contains our Hall of Honor and displays of sports memorabilia.
Our program also includes an induction banquet. Held each February to induct a new group of honorees into the Hall of Fame, the banquet provides an opportunity to recognize the special accomplishments of outstanding local high school and collegiate athletes.
In addition to helping the CSHOF carry out its twin missions of maintaining a hall of fame and a sports exhibit hall, members will receive several value-added benefits for their membership fee.
One year memberships are only $30 for individuals and $100 for businesses. Business members will receive 4 discount cards and plus an acknowledgement at the CSHOF hall and website.
Please join us by purchasing a 2013-2014 membership in the only organization solely dedicated to preserving and honoring the wonderful history of athletics in Chautauqua County.
CSHOF Membership Card Marketing Partners
- 360 Graphics • 1766 Foote Ave. Ext. • Jamestown
- 15% discount on business cards
- Jock Shop • 10 Harrison Street • Jamestown
- 10% off regular items, excludes team sales, service & sale items
- Jamestown Jammers • Diethrick Stadium • Jamestown
- $1 off game ticket excluding Dollar Night
- 10% off retail price in Jammers gift shop
- Jamestown Savings Bank Arena • 319 West Third Street • Jamestown
- Buy one public skate, get second free
- Gametime Sports Bar and Grille • 850 Foote Avenue • Jamestown
- 10% off food purchase
- Lakewood Golf Center • 4341 W. Fairmount Avenue • Lakewood
- Buy one round of mini-golf, play second round free
- Pinehurst Golf Club • Route 20 • Westfield
- Buy 2 for the price of one green fees
- Ashville General Store • Route 474 • Ashville
- 15% off any deli purchase
- Hometown Grille • 718 West Third Street • Jamestown
- 10% off your order, excluding specials
- Honest John's • 1245 East Second Street • Jamestown
- 10% off regular prices
- Miley's Old Inn • 845 East Second Street • Jamestown
- 10% off dinners
- Hollyloft Ski and Bike • 600 Fairmount Avenue • Jamestown
- $10 off on a purchase of $50 or more, regular price