"Busti Bobby" Premiere at RHJ May 31
Busti Bobby a film about the stock car racing career of Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame inductee Bob Schnars will premiere at the Robert H. Jackson Center, 305 E. 4th St., Jamestown, on Sunday, May 31st at 2:00 P.M.
"Busti Bobby" was created by Greg Peterson, Randy Anderson and Randy Sweeney, principals of The Stateline Legacy Fund, a group dedicated to preserving the history of Stateline Speedway in Busti, NY. This film is the third for The Stateline Legacy Fund. "Stateline Speedway - The First Ten Years, 1956-1965" was released in 2010 and "Squirt," the story of legendary racer Squirt Johns, was released in 2013.
For more information see the May 2015 newsletter.
Bobby Schnars was born on September 7, 1937, to John and Edna Schnars of Busti. He was raised on Donelson Road along with his brothers Ron and Bill and sister Donna.
The 1955 Southwestern Central School graduate now makes his home on the Busti-Sugar Grove Road near where he started his marvelous racing caeer at Stateline Speedway in 1957.
Stateline Speedway was built in 1956 and Eriez Speedway followed in 1961. It was those tracks where Schnars became known as "The King" of local stock car racing. Schnars recorded 136 Late Model Feature wins during a career that spanned from 1957-1977.
To give one an idea of how dominant Schnars was, consider this: when Bobby Schnars was inducted into the CSHOF in 2002, only Dick Barton and Skip Furlow, both now CSHOF inductees, had won even half the number of Late Model Feature races as Schnars, who had been retired for nearly 25 years.
Broken down, Schnars won 79 late model races at Stateline and 57 and Eriez. He captured 21 late model point titles on the Stateline-Eriez circuit with eight at Stateline, seven at Eriez and six combined Stateline-Eriez Circuit titles. The 21 total Late Model crowns has since been exceeded by Barton, but is still 14 more than anyone else.
Barton passed Schnars for the top position in all-time wins at Stateline in 2014 when he recorded his 80th, but Schnars remains the top-dog at Eriez Speedway, nearly 40 years after he hung up his helmet.
Schnars, nicknamed "Cannonball" in the early stages of his career, and his friend, the late Gary "Frosty" Fosberg, decided to also build a car to compete in the sportman's division. Over a five-year period, 1971-73 through 1975-1976, he drove his M-1 coupe to victories 45 times with 25 wins at Stateline and 20 at Eriez. He is ranked second on the all-time circuit list behind Ron Blackmer, a fellow CSHOF inductee, who also is retired. Additionally, "Busti Bobby" as he became known, won four sportman's point championships on the Stateline-Eriez Circuit.
Shane Conlan Exhibit
Shane Conlan, the former All-American linebacker at Penn State, will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on December 9th. To commemorate the milestone event, the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame will honor our 1992 inductee with a display of Conlan's memorabilia at our hall beginning in December.
The exhibit has been created from personal artifacts Shane and his parents, Dan and Kay Conlan, have loaned the CSHoF. Among the items to be shown are the following:
- Conlan football jerseys from Frewsburg Central, Penn State, Buffalo Bills and Los Angeles Rams
- Game-used helmets from Penn State and Buffalo
- A collage of 30 Conlan pro football trading cards
- 1986 All-American plaque
- 1987 Fiesta Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player Award
- 1987 Downtown Athletic Club Exemplary Player Award
- 1987 NFL Rookie of the Year Award
- 1987 Buffalo Bills Rookie of the Year
- 1988 NFL Mackey Award
- 1994 Los Angeles Rams Most Valuable Player Award
To read more about this exhibit check the November newsletter.
Join the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame
- CSHOF window cling
- $5 off the 2015 induction banquet ticket
- Monthly newsletter
- Acknowledgement of membership on the CSHOF website
- Membership card with discounts at selected marketing partners
The Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame is proud to announce that a membership program is now available to persons who are interested in preserving the history of sports in Chautauqua County and honoring the outstanding individuals who have created our cherished sports memories.
The CSHOF maintains a hall located at 15 W. Third Street in Jamestown staffed by volunteers that contains our Hall of Honor and displays of sports memorabilia.
Our program also includes an induction banquet. Held each February to induct a new group of honorees into the Hall of Fame, the banquet provides an opportunity to recognize the special accomplishments of outstanding local high school and collegiate athletes.
In addition to helping the CSHOF carry out its twin missions of maintaining a hall of fame and a sports exhibit hall, members will receive several value-added benefits for their membership fee.
One year memberships are only $30 for individuals and $100 for businesses. Business members will receive 4 discount cards and plus an acknowledgement at the CSHOF hall and website.
Please join us by purchasing a 2014-2015 membership in the only organization solely dedicated to preserving and honoring the wonderful history of athletics in Chautauqua County.
CSHOF Membership Card Marketing Partners
- 360 Graphics • 1766 Foote Ave. Ext. • Jamestown
- 15% discount on business cards
- Jock Shop • 10 Harrison Street • Jamestown
- 10% off regular items, excludes team sales, service & sale items
- Jamestown Jammers • Diethrick Stadium • Jamestown
- $1 off game ticket excluding Dollar Night
- 10% off retail price in Jammers gift shop
- Jamestown Savings Bank Arena • 319 West Third Street • Jamestown
- Buy one public skate, get second free
- Gametime Sports Bar and Grille • 850 Foote Avenue • Jamestown
- 10% off food purchase
- Lakewood Golf Center • 4341 W. Fairmount Avenue • Lakewood
- Buy one round of mini-golf, play second round free
- Pinehurst Golf Club • Route 20 • Westfield
- Buy 2 for the price of one green fees
- Ashville General Store • Route 474 • Ashville
- 15% off any deli purchase
- Hometown Grille • 718 West Third Street • Jamestown
- 10% off your order, excluding specials
- Honest John's • 1245 East Second Street • Jamestown
- 10% off regular prices
- Miley's Old Inn • 845 East Second Street • Jamestown
- 10% off dinners
- Hollyloft Ski and Bike • 600 Fairmount Avenue • Jamestown
- $10 off on a purchase of $50 or more, regular price