He subsequently qualified for two more US Senior Amateur Tournaments in 1994 and 1997.
Earlier in 1990, Gunnell defeated two-time defending champion John Gaffney in a playoff to win the Buffalo District Golf Association Individual Championship at Brierwood Country Club, Hamburg, N.Y. Also during the summer of 1990, Gunnell dropped a 2-foot birdie putt on the fourth playoff hole to defeat Joe Garner of Poughkeepsie to claim the New York State Senior Amateur Tournament at the Teugaga Country Club in Rome, N.Y.
Overall, Gunnell has won the Buffalo District Golf Association Tournament once in the Pro-Seniors Division and twice each in the Seniors, Father-Son, and Better Ball Tournaments. He has captured four Western New York Men’s Amateur Tournaments and two Southwestern New York-Northwest Pennsylvania Men’s Amateur Tournaments. In the latter he was medalist
Gunnell, who is a scratch golfer and who has recorded 14 holes-in-one during his career, the most recent at the age of 88, has made seven appearances in the New York State Amateur, placed fifth in the Florida State Seniors and played twice in the Porter Cup Classic at Niagara Falls Country Club.
Other accomplishments by Gunnell were capturing the Clifton Springs Best Ball Tournament three times; three victories in the Elkdale Open Tournament in Salamanca, N.Y.; three wins in the Gowanda Fall Classic; and wins at the Clete Fox Tournament at Transit Valley Country Club, Buffalo, N.Y. and the Jack Ahern Cup Matches at Wanaka Country Club, Hamburg, N.Y. Also, Gunnell had two wins at the Penn Bank Open at Pine Acres CC near Bradford, Pa.
In Chautauqua County, Gunnell has won multiple Club Championships at Chautauqua Golf Club, Moon Brook Golf Club and South Hill Country Club. He holds the course records at the Chautauqua Lake Course with a 62 and at South Hills with a 64.
In Pennsylvania, he has won the Club Championship at Jackson Valley Country Club and shot a course record 64 at Cable Hollow and a 65 at Blueberry Hill, both golf clubs near Russell, Pa. and a 63 at North Hills in Corry, Pa.
Gunnell graduated from Jamestown High School where he was a member of the baseball, basketball and bowling teams. Gunnell made his varsity baseball debut as a sophomore by hurling a 14-0 no-hitter with nine strikeouts and only three walks against Westfield. Known for his tough curveball and fastball. He finished his high school career with a 15-1 record.
In bowling, Gunnell had a 195 average and one year had the highest game (225) and series (552) at the Chautauqua County League meet held at Lakewood Alleys.
Gunnell had a tryout with the Brooklyn Dodgers, but later signed with the Philadelphia Phillies and was sent to Pulaski, Virginia in the Appalachian League. As a rookie in 1953, he made his debut in relief by throwing 3-1/3 innings, allowing an unearned run, striking out three and walking two in a 7-6 no-decision loss to Wytheville in the season opener. He also hit a double in his lone at-bat.
When not playing baseball himself, Gunnell did his share of managing youth baseball teams and took the International League All-Stars of the Jamestown Little League to within four outs of going tom the Little League World Series.
Gunnell also managed the Mt. Moriah squad in the Jamestown Little League for five years with Duane Shaffer. He then managed his son Robbie’s Lakewood Red Sox team to three straight titles in the Southwestern Area Cub League and also managed in the all-star game. After that, he managed the Giants in the Southwestern Area Lions League for three years, including one undefeated season.
Bob was elected to the Society of Seniors in 1984 and the Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame in 1991.
In 2021, now at the age of 87, the Gunner plays golf regularly and still shoots around par.
- New York State Senior Amateur at Bellevue CC, Syracuse, NY
- New York State Senior Amateur at Teugaga CC, Rome, NY
- 2X – Buffalo District Individual Championship at Glen Oak CC, Buffalo, NY
- 9X – Buffalo District Senior Championship
- 2X – SWNY/NWPA Men’s Amateur Championship
- Clete Fox Invitational Championship at Transit Valley CC, Buffalo, NY
- Jack Ahern Cup Championship at Wanaka CC, Hamburg, NY
- Riverhead Senior Invitational Championship at Port Charlotte, FL
- 2X – Marion County (FL) Senior Amateur Championship
- Society of Seniors Championship at Melbourne, FL
- 10X – Lakewood Open Championship at Cassadaga CC, Cassadaga, NY
- 3X – Elkdale Open Championship at Elkdale CC, Salamanca, NY
- 3X – Gowanda Fall Classic Championship at Gowanda CC, Gowanda, NY
- 2X – Penn Bank Open Championship at Pine Acres CC, Bradford, PA
- Furniture Open Championship at Elkdale CC, Salamanca, NY
- Producers Bank Tournament Championship at Pine Acres CC, Bradford, PA
- Jackson Valley CC, Warren, PA (1970)
- South Hills CC, Jamestown, NY (1977)
- 2X – Moon Brook CC, Jamestown, NY
- 8X – Chautauqua GC, Chautauqua, NY
- 18X – Chautauqua GC Senior Champions, Chautauqua, NY
- 2X – Country Club at Silver Springs Shores, Ocala, FL
- 2X – Timber Pines CC, Spring Hill, FL
- 2X – Del Webb Spruce Preserve GC, Summerfield, FL
- 13 holes-in-one
- Course record 62 at Chautauqua GC Lake Course, Chautauqua, NY
- Course record 64 at South Hills CC, Jamestown, NY
- Course record 64 at Cable Hollow CC, Akeley, PA
- Course record 65 at Blueberry Hill GC, Scandia, PA
- Course record 63 at North Hills GC, Corry, PA
- 3X – US Senior Amateur Qualifier (1990, 1994, 1997)
- 7X – New York State Amateur Qualifier
- 2X – Porter Cup Qualifier
- Florida State Senior Amateur Qualifier
- Elected to Society of Seniors (1984)
- Elected to Chautauqua Sports Hall of Fame (1991)